eruditearmywife?

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

weekend accomplishments

My sister ran a marathon this weekend. I truly cannot ever imagine doing something like this myself. Did I mention she works full time and raises two children almost by herself? What did I do this weekend? Not a whole hell of a lot, especially not when you must compare it to something like that.

Last night during my writing group, I found myself detailing the ways that I am currently not doing a good job of self care. Regular exercise is part of what I am not doing (I also spend most of my day seated at a computer ruining my eyes and hands; drink way too much coffee, beer and wine; eat junk food; do not get enough sleep; shower and wash my clothes with a shocking amount of irregularity; often am too exhausted to wash my face at night; and only floss an average of once a week, among many other poor health choices). It is easy to see I have a lot of room for improvement and pretty much the only way to go it up from here. While I ponder getting my act together, I am not sure however, that training for and running a marathon is good self care either. It is an accomplishment for sure, but the cost-benefit analysis makes the overall goodness of this in realation to self care less clear.

In any case, one ought to have respect for things one knows for certain she can never accomplish like running a marathon, driving a city bus, doing a pull up, singing without causing those around to have a pained expression on their faces, being the leader of a religious sect, etc. Well done, Kelsey, well done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home