eruditearmywife?

Sunday, March 23, 2008

complaint-free world


I just saw a segment on CBS News Sunday Morning about Rev. Will Bowen in Kansas City who has stated a campaign against complaining. This campaign is based on the idea that you can never complain your way to happiness. The challenge he presents to parishioners is to go 21 full days without complaining. Folks who participate wear a purple plastic bracelet to remind them that complaining only detracts from the pursuit of happiness. After this initial 21 days he believes a person will see that they are closer to accepting the world and people as they are and feel happier. His goal is to create a complaint-free society.

I have a friend who constantly raves about every aspect of her life. I find it somewhat creepy that she is the only person I have ever met who thinks everything and everyone is so wonderful. She feels compelled to talk about the constant joy she experiences with everyone she meets. I find myself not believing her, thinking she's delusional. I think I have heard her complain twice and both times she apologized for it and tried to rationalize her discontent to explain it away.

Rather than going to church today, Easter Sunday, I am contemplating what a complaint-free world would really look like. The Pollyanna side of my brain thinks what a great idea, but my skeptical side is all up in arms over this.

Pollyanna's arguments for:
We do spend a great deal of time and energy complaining, at least I do. I do not necessarily follow thru with all the threats to rectify the wrongs that I discuss during my rants. By complaining I am certainly not accepting people or situation for how they are. I grew up in a family where different always equated bad. By complaining am I just reifying negativity.

Skeptical side of my brain's arguments against:
Sometimes things just suck. It's true, they do. If we never allow ourselves to deconstruct our discontent, we will certainly never be able to work to ameliorate the situation that caused it or our feelings, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home