eruditearmywife?

Sunday, February 03, 2008

food, sports and other thoughts

I went to a Super Bowl party for the food and seriously, there is no shame in that. I did watch the game some since it was projected on the wall of a small living room (not at all sure how they pulled that off), however I had a few "technical" difficulties. I wore my two sizes too large Patriots t-shirt the my father-in-law proudly brought for me a few months ago and although I did not manage to squeeze in a shower, I did wash my face and put on sparkley eye shadow just to be festive because this event is worthy of a bit extra. I am officially a fan of all things Boston--the Red Sox, John Kerry, Patriots, Bruins, cream pie, the Kennedy's, baked beans, my sweet husband and his "special" family, lobsta rolls , random deletion and addition of the letter r, etc. However, as I mentioned I went to this party for the food not the sport and thus kept clapping for most of the first half for the team I thought was the Patriots only to find out that the Patriots were wearing blue uniforms, not white like I assumed, so I was intermittently cheering for the wrong team. In the end the Patriots (who indeed were wearing snappy blue uniforms) did not win, but I did get a great dinner of clam chowder, NY style pizza, several chips and dips, and King's Cake without the plastic baby Jesus (so glad to be off the hook for next year). I'm not as I mentioned a sports fan, but I am a fan of food so I do hope that next year's Super Bowl party can match if not exceed this one culinarily speaking. I almost forgot that I had a lovely discussion about gender inequality with a man from Georgia (the republic not the state) in which I was able to discuss the gender divide in embodiment vs. representations of the state and get some fascinating food for thought based on his distinct views and life experiences. Ah, being nerdy never felt so good.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger mitsi said...

Ah, the epenthetic vowels... they are lovely, aren't they?

I thought the food (while bountiful) was just ok... thinking particularly about the chowdah. I did like the pizza.

Cracking up at you cheering for the wrong team... I had no idea (maybe b/c I was drinking so much lovely cherry beer!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home